Monday, July 04, 2005

Exhausted, Part 1

I thought I will stay relaxed for a month when I got admission to IIT Roorkee.
Seems I was wrong. This has been one of the most exhaustive weeks of my life.

The fate of my trip to IIT Guwahati was almost pre-decided. I went there for two reasons. First, I wanted to make sure that my decision (choosing IIT Roorkee over IIT Guwahati) was right, so that I do not repent later. And second, I was in a no-harm-possible situation :-)

The trip started as planned except that Indian Airlines’ food was worse than expected and the plane was half an hour late. No serious issues though.

In Guwahati the first thing that struck me was the extremely high humidity and harsh sunrays. I expected it to be cooler than Delhi as temperature was 5-10 degree lower but the humidity made the atmosphere intolerable. Also, I have a gut feeling that lesser pollution in Guwahati makes the atmosphere thinner hence increasing the intensity of sunrays and number of visible stars in sky.

One thing good about Guwahati is that it is very close to nature. You turn any side and you will either see a mountain or River Brahmaputra (which is majestic). I loved this aspect of this city after spending all my years in flatlands around Delhi.

Another thing about Guwahati, as my friend Vivek quoted was, “It’s a sleeping city.” It really is. It was a Sunday afternoon and streets were empty and shops closed. Three days at Guwahati were enough to prove the sleeping nature of the city. Maybe it is the climate and beautiful surroundings that compel them to sleep all the time.

I’m far from sleeping city but I’m a tired and feeling sleepy. I’ll continue this post tomorrow.

No comments: