Sunday, October 03, 2004

GMail = Good Mail.

GMail is the best. Google is great.
Sounds clichéd? Oh Yea, Now it does.

A few months back my friend Swaroop sent an SMS to me saying that he has sent a GMail invite to me. I ran like hell, booted my PC, typed “mail.yahoo.com” in IE and logged in. Yes, it was there. My heart was beating like anything. Shit! username chirag has already been taken, same with chirag.gupta. Phew! I got gupta.chirag. I thanked Swaroop and went on exploring GMail. I thought it was a big day in my life.

But now, the GMail hype is almost over.
Almost everyone I know has a GMail account and most of them have completely switched over to it (Not me though, I still use Yahoo and Rediff for some mails). Most of us love GMail mainly for the 1GB trend it kicked off. But there is more to GMail than 1GB.

I want to share with you the reasons why I really love GMail.

  1. Size.
  2. Clean interface and keyboard shortcuts.
  3. No Advertisements.
    I know text based ads are there but they are rarely as bad as banners/pop-ups.
  4. Speed.
  5. AutoComplete enabled address book.
  6. It enforces security.
    All the new accounts are required to have a non obvious password. Some people might feel it’s useless but it is really good as it enforces some kind of precaution that will be a must in the coming digital age.
  7. Uniqueness in Email Ids.
    This one needs explanation. Let’s take an example. Say your GMail Id is first[dot]last. At the time you register, GMail reserves firstlast (without [dot]) and fir[dot]st[dot]last and all other Ids formed by the combination of [dot]s in your Email Id. So if someone misreads your Email Id and adds/removes a [dot], you need not worry. You will still get the mail. Try this if you haven’t, it’s a great feature.
  8. Search. It's quite obvious.
    Let's think about near future. You’ll have a Google search client on your system. It will first search for the query in your local disk, then your GMail account and then go to the web. Good for guys like me who tend to forget there recent search queries.
  9. It’s from Google.
    Google is one company I really trust. If they do something, they leave no stones unturned. More importantly everything they create is designed to make your life better and easier. Expect the same from GMail.
  10. All we have seen is the Beta version. I am sure all user demands will be incorporated into the final version to make GMail the best email service.

And yes in case you are one of the rare species who does not have a GMail account, mail to me at echirag [at] gmail [dot] com.

I have a few GMail invites that might make your email experience a bit better.


2 comments:

Swaroop said...

cheeks.. niceone.. and thanq Chaitanya Ravi for that invite. i just forwarded it 2 ya.. bye.

Saurabh said...

you are absolutely correct...the reason is....i hardly chek my other emails ids...after GMAIL (Swaroop Zindabad).n yes.....this is the trailor.....wonder howz good is the movie.