Thursday, August 18, 2005

IIT Roorkee rocks!

If somebody had asked me a few days ago how is IIT Roorkee, my reply would've been, "Well it's good but not as good as I expected an IIT to be. The place is kinda old and boring."

Ask me now, and I will say, "IIT Roorkee rocks!"

And what caused the drastic perception makeover? Well, the answer is Internet.

When I came here I had almost no source of accessing Internet except the labs which I feel sick of visiting. Add to it the repetitive courses (similar to my UG curricula) made life hell boring. I began wondering whether the the courses were boring or the professors were bad. At a time I was so sick, I was wondering whether I made the right decision choosing M.Tech (CSE) at IIT R over my job at Infosys.

But now, ever since I have Internet access through WiFi on my new laptop (Compaq M2201TU) all my woes have vanished. Suddenly, I am lacking time to do stuff. It took me 2 days before I got time to write this.
I found IIT Roorkee Intranet website, which is simply amazing. We have local mirrors of all the common software required and, like it should be at any respectable place, most of them are open source.
Also, I found an online notice board with all the notices about last year placements. In short, they rock!
Last thing I saw today was faculty profiles. Well, all the professors I was cribbing about have over 50 research papers published in International journals! I am kinda feeling guilty.

Apart from the Internet-revealed stuff, this place is really cool to live. Ofcourse, Roorkee is no Delhi but I never got so much freedom in my life before I came here. For one instance, today I went to SnackPoint (near Century Gate, IIT Roorkee) to have my dinner (after I skipped the mess dinner) at 11 PM. And when I was returning, IIT hostel canteens were literally flooded with students. All canteens here open till 2 or 3 at night. Maybe mine is a special case but I never imagined such a thing in my UG institute.

It's hard to stop writing since I am so happy, but I think you have got the essence of the post, IIT Roorkee rocks...

14 comments:

maverick said...

hi chirag ...
this is dizzy .... good that u have taken to roorkee like fish to water ... read ur blogs ... they're real good ... take care ...

Sandeep Kumar said...

Hi,
I went thru all your blogs and really I found them interesting. I am from IITG and hence searching IITG on blogsearch made me reach your blogs on it. It was nice to know about your first impression of IITG and yups, its very accurate. It was nice to read. Best of Luck and I hope you spend 2 nice years in IITR.

sandeep

Anonymous said...

u have a nice blog here .. just check this http://imsindia.com/annaofinnovation_part1/part1.htm

B@tmaN said...

hi,
i m currently in B.Tech(I.T), final yr from Vellore Institute of Technology.,.n i m lookin forward to do my M.Tech from IIT in C.S.,.

but i hv heard lot of people sayin tht doin M.Tech wont help u much n if its better to get in job n gain 2 yrs of exp. instead of pursuin M.Tech.,.can u pls guide me on this.,.,.

n what wil be adv n disadv of doin M.Tech

pls mail me at anujgarg86@gmail.com

अतुल श्रीवास्तव said...

Ah! Those old Roorkee days... Roorkee campus is amazingly clean and beautiful and campus/ hostel facilities are hard to beat...

Anonymous said...

hello friends ..I am 1.8 yr experienced in TCS , and Got 98.2 ptile in gate in ECE stream , is there any chance for Communication in iitR .? pleas help me my email id -- shaif.tazir@gmail.com ,

regards Shaif Tazir

Anonymous said...

hii

i am really in a fix wheather to opt for mba or mtech after i complete my btech in mechanical engg.
it will be a great help if you tell me about the growth prospects if i opt for mtech.
my email id is karandeep.uiet@gmail.com

.....take care....

Unknown said...

We as a group of educator-entrepreneurs in USA are trying to solicit information and in the process seek to gather interest amongst like minded educators and entrepreneurs from around the globe. We also hope to further the cause and propagate the idea of building a highly robust, rich and to the mark Question-banks and an exhaustive global test management and evaluation system.

We Have a forceful idea.And seek like minded people in the technology and education to join us

We would be more then glad to include students with fresh waves of energy and ideas to join us in this venture so that we can design and launch the most relevant and contemporary product in the field of education.

Feel free to reach us for more information about the project by writing to us at joushsa@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am looking for the recipe of coffee paste prepared in various bhawan's mess. I had joined BE in 1989 and the only thing I liked in messes in those time was this special coffee paste.I am writing to this forum since I could not find this recipe anywhere else. I hope that someone studying there can find out and write to back to me.

ABHAY VAISH said...

I remember the only time I went to IIT Roorkee for their techfest.It was superb atmosphere around the campus back then.

Pushpendra said...

Hi

I did my BE (Mech) in 1984-1988 and it was always rocking...I still miss the time in than UOR.

Best time of my life..

Anonymous said...

Hi Chirag,

Being an IIT Roorkee alumuns myself, I could completely understand what you were talking about. I rememeber waiting eagerly for the campus WiFi to get activated and also my jubiliation on the day the WiFi got activated. :)

All the best with your life at IIT Roorkee. I have some support for you there: IIT Roorkee rocks! ;)

sathyamoorthy said...

hi,
I am currently doing my B.tech(civil),final year. I am very much interested in doing my M.tech(structural Engg.) in IIT. But I dono the college best suites my choice of department. So please help me to choose the best college for my choice of dept. My ID is vsathyamoorthy25@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hiee I want to do MCA from IIT Roorkee but I and my parents are afraid of ragging. Plz tell something abt that.. Plz mail me on n.mayuri21@gmail.com